Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pen and Ink

Pen and ink is one of my favourite sketching mediums, especially for book illustrations.  An ink line makes a bold and unalterable statement.  Unlike charcoal or pencil, it can’t be smudged over or rubbed out. 

I’ve spent a lifetime search for the perfect pen and tried everything from goose quills to felt-tips.  Just when I think that I’ve found a pen that suits my needs (the ink has to be permanent, the tip durable and flow abundant) the manufacturer ceases production.

For the drawings in my book “Caribbean Sketches”, I used a pen that had a nylon tip.  Luckily I bought a couple of dozen before I began my journey through the islands, for I’ve never seen the same pen since.


Incidentally, all the sketches for the book were made from life.  What you see on the page, is what I saw and experienced in the brief moments that I made the sketch way back in 1990.   

Today’s picture of Berekua is taken from the chapter on Dominica.

No comments:

Post a Comment