Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Renaissance Men...

If Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo or scores of other renaissance men were to walk into my studio they would not bat an eyelid.  My working methods as a sculptor have changed little since their time and my day’s work encompasses a number of different skills. 

Like my father and grandfather before me, I originally trained as an engineer.  My machine shop is the best equipped on the island and I am often called upon to make replacement parts.  A couple of days ago it was a crane turntable drive shaft and today it was the main frame for a hundred and fifty year old clock.

My grandfather was a clock maker and I am sure his spirit was looking over my shoulder as I worked.  The tools I used were once his.  He handed them down to my father and in turn, my father handed them down to me.  One day I will hand them down to my son. 
                                                                   

Above is the crane turntable drive shaft being turned in my lathe
and below the 150 year old clock mechanism.

2 comments:

  1. Strange indeed how such skill can pass down the generations - and totally by-pass my branch of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asyou can tell, I'm playing catch up on my comments (having had a house full of 'youths' for a few days!).

    Clock mechanisms are a thing of beauty; so intricate and precise!

    ReplyDelete