Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Work in Progress

I’m putting the clock back a couple of months so that you can see how my work in progress, a stretched torso, was conceived. 

It came into this world almost of its own accord.  As Denise stretched and arched her back at the end of a modelling session, I saw at a glance the vigorous torso that for years I had visualised at the back of my mind. 

The next step, easier said than done, was to pin that fleeting movement down on paper.  Invariably, a transitory pose is an illusive pose. If the position of the neck, arm or leg changes (albeit minutely) there is a ripple effect that alters everything.  Denise’s technique is to repeat the stretch, time and time again.  Eventually I cry, hold it there! 


The above sketch is both the end result, and the beginning of my work in progress.    

No comments:

Post a Comment