Saturday, March 19, 2011

Get a life…

These were the words of advice screamed at me by one of our teenage daughters some years ago. 

As I haven’t seen a television in fifty years and hence don’t know who’s getting off with who in any of the soaps, I dare say she has a point.  On the other hand, if getting a life has anything to do with passionately living life, I beg to suggest that I qualify more than most.

In the words of Robert Service, I have whistled bits of ragtime and the end of all creation and I heeded all too well the advice given in his poem “The Call Of The Wild” when I turned my back on a safe career in engineering design.

They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
They have soaked you in convention through and through;
They have put you in a showcase; you’re a credit to their teaching –
But can’t you hear the wild? – it’s calling you.


This afternoon my class has been getting a life by working from life.  The painting is of Denise.  Thank you Denise, and thank you Heather for also modelling.

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand soaps! I do enjoy some television though. I think I might have missed it more than once in the last 50 years!

    ReplyDelete