Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Many an oily rag…

Don’t strip down any further…just give me five minutes more… 

These were the instructions that I gave Denise this afternoon, not as my model but as my apprentice motor mechanic.  One of our works in progress is the restoration of a forty-year-old Land Rover.  William Turner or Claude Monet would have revelled in the scene under the bonnet. 

Like them, I have an affection for all things mechanical.  Many years ago, I attended the first (and possibly only) meeting of a group of painters that set out to establish a Society of Industrial Artists.  I must check to see if the society was infact established.  If it was, I might be able to add the letters MSIA to my name!


As you can see, the five minutes more, gave me time to grab a sketchbook and paint a “before” picture.  Many an oily rag will pass over the vehicle before I can add the “after” painting to my collection.

1 comment:

  1. Car engines looked far more interesting 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete