Friday, March 18, 2011

Mending the gates…

Earlier in the week, to illustrate my point about today’s equivalent of Constable’s haywain, I was at a loss to find a painting of a JCB or a ten-ton truck. 

Although not immediately obvious, there is a ten-ton truck in today’s painting and the steel band is perched on top of it.  It is from the series I made of Dominica’s Carnival Parade a week or so ago. 
 

Since  this morning, I have been at work in my machine shop rather than in my studio.  When replacements parts are urgently needed to keep the island’s businesses running, I put down my clay and paint brushes and start up my lathes and milling machines.  I suspect that on the day I arrive in the next world, rather than sculpting angels, I’ll be mending the gates!

PS.   This Sunday afternoon between 2.00 and 5.30 we're doing a special studio visit, garden tour and afternoon tea.  We extend a special invitation to diary followers here on Dominica.

1 comment:

  1. Even if I set off right now, I doubt I'd make it in time for your studio visit. Shame!

    ReplyDelete