Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Moving on…

Between 1995 and 2005, the years that I based my studio in England, one commission followed another.  It seemed that success as a sculptor had found me out, as it had done years earlier as a painter in the Virgin Islands. 

However, I know all too well that the creative spirit has a curious quirk in its nature: struggle and poverty spur it on, whereas ease and affluence cause it to procrastinate.  Maybe that is why, whenever things appear to be going along nicely in my life, I decided to up stakes and move on.

So, here I am on Dominica reinventing myself all over again.  For five years I put painting and sculpture on hold while we converted an abandoned slab of concrete into our home, studio and workshop.  Last year I returned to my work with new vigour and a new vision.


The picture shows the clay stage of my first sculpture from this new period.  With Denise as the model, it represents the “where do I go from here” mid-life transition: the reflection, the awakening and the moving on.

1 comment: