Sunday, March 20, 2011

There’s no rubbing out…

I only enforce one rule for those attending my life class: no erasers!

In sketching, as in life, every moment counts, mistakes and all.  There’s no turning the clock back.  One of my mature students put it nicely when she told the class, “I’ve earned every line on my face”.  Hidden in a confusion of wrong lines is the right line.  When I find it, I firm it up and the wrong lines remain to emphasis that I have figured it out.  Sometimes I leave the viewer to determine which line is the right line.  Thus, I invite the viewer have a say in the creative process.

A multitude of lines gives testimony to the struggle one faces when working from the live model.  The model is alive and the artist has to somehow or other put the very breath of life down on paper.  As you can see from today’s picture, right lines and wrong lines all count, there’s no rubbing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment