Sunday, April 10, 2011

A double act…

Two of my regular life class students are Daryl and Ziggy.  They are both attending the State College and studying IT and architecture respectively.  What a pity, that the visual arts are not offered as a course of advanced study here on Dominica.  These two young men have the talent and the personality to make a name for themselves.  They are worthy of great encouragement.

In the Caribbean, we train doctors and lawyers by the score but not creative artists.  It is only recently that art has been introduced at CXC level in secondary schools.  Art is considered a spare time pursuit, a bit like playing dominoes.  Mechanical engineering, my second occupation, suffers the same fate.  It is presently unavailable as a course of study. 

There is a limit to what one man can do to make up the shortfall and I reached that limit last week.  After two art workshops followed on the tail of a workshop on production line engineering, I lost my voice.  That, my family say, is a blessing!

Here’s Daryl on the left and Ziggy on the right.   

1 comment:

  1. I agree that higher education should be offered in the creative disciplins as well as the more obviously 'productive'. I am especially surprised that mechanical engineering is not offered. I would have expected that such a profession would have been seen as more high profile.

    I share your voice problems. I have been struggling with mine also.

    ReplyDelete