Monday, September 12, 2011

In my mind’s eye…

I am sometimes asked if I paint and sculpt every day.  The answer is, yes I do and no I don’t.  Days, weeks, months and sometimes years can pass, without my brush touching paper or my hands modelling clay.  On the other hand, it is rare for a day to pass without me creating scores of images in my mind’s eye.

Over the last few days, my workload has included devising ways of packaging rum cakes, turning spherical bearings, motivating a workforce, editing a guidebook, battening down for an approaching hurricane and….

In my mind’s eye: capturing the smile in eyes of someone who I see daily in passing, sculpting two figures locked in a passionate embrace, commemorating the memory of a friend in stained glass, painting the figure with such abandon that I no longer count fingers or labour over ears, allowing verse to interweave with my paintings and sculptures and…

How can I illustrate what is in my mind’s eye?  Perhaps the stained glass panels that made up my Christ Triumphant church window, propped at random before installation, one against the other, fairly represent the images that night and day race around in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment