Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bricks and mortar…

When painting scenes from my native West Riding of Yorkshire, I have learnt that possession is nine-tenths the likelihood of finding a buyer.   In other words, my fellow countrymen like to buy what’s theirs.  If it’s a house it has to be their house; a field, their field.  One of my best paintings of Shibden Valley - the vale of my youth – would have been bought by the owner of the farmhouse in the middle distance, were it not for the fact that the field in the foreground was his neighbours, not his!

Likewise, when I offered a distinguished patron of the arts the first choice from a collection of paintings of his home town, he selected a mediocre sketch of his own property.   The painting shown below, one of the best in the collection, also shows his property.  However, in this painting, his building is an indiscernible one-tenth wash in the background and hence, it didn’t make a sale. 

1 comment:

  1. I had never thought of it that way, but it could be true. However, even though my father paints, the one painting of a house he has hanging on the wall, is not his - neither did he paint it. The one picture of a house we have hanging here (if you don’t count my needlework sampler) is a painting we commissioned of my husband’s childhood home. But painting to order is not everyone’s cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete