Saturday, March 1, 2014

I can’t give you anything but a painting


As I’m much too poor, I find the only way that I can show my love to those who have stood by my side, is by the gift of a painting.  This I was able to do a couple of days ago for my dear friend Athlene Douglas–Murdock, Director of the Dominica Institute for the Arts.  To round off two days of art workshops Athlene invited the tutors to afternoon deserts at Batibou Beach.  While the others were eating cheese-cake, I was painting.

The beach is one of the best on Dominica and forms part of her family’s Hampstead Estate. When my phone rings, ten to one it’s Athlene wanting my help in brain-storming ideas for the Institute.  She made me laugh by once opening her conversation with the words, “Roger, I know you’re going to set the police onto me for bothering you…”  Here is Athlene (in blue) at the opening one of the workshops for secondary school students.


Hampstead Estate has a sugar mill and distillery that dates back to the plantation period.  I re-visited the ruins a few weeks ago.  The photo shows my assistant Jessica Bellevue seated on the rollers that once crushed the cane.  Jessica is my studio Girl Friday and helps with everything from modelling to generally keeping tabs on all my various projects.  She is also trying to teach me the virtue of patience.  Her smile makes my day.


And finally, for good measure, here am I along with Jessica, again at Hampstead.


No comments:

Post a Comment