Saturday, November 14, 2015

What next

By its very nature creativity is different to what has gone before. Repeating the same picture over and over again is anything but creative. Variations on a theme are all well and good but eventually the theme itself becomes exhausted. Hence, after a successful run of one thing, I eventually have to ask myself: what next. 

A pictorial image is the world’s most universal language. Currently these diary pages are accessed in over 40 countries, the most recent follower being from Myanmar (formally Burma). But language is most effective when you have something to say. And this brings me back to: what next do I say and what next can I get passionate about. If I cannot get passionate about my work I cannot expect to seduce you, the viewer. 

It is the same with these diary pages. If I have nothing new to say I get bored and the reader gets bored.

While seeking an answer to this enigma, I will use the forthcoming diary pages to review the subjects that have excited me in the past. But before turning the clock back fifty years, let’s take a look at the painting that began my present series of the nude almost two years ago.  The model is Jessica and the painting was made on her first modelling session.


No comments:

Post a Comment