Monday, July 18, 2016

No turning back

I have spent a lifetime disappointing those who have bought my paintings and then come back for more. The disenchantment comes about because I can no longer paint what I painted in the past. Had I been able to paint Caribbean palm fringed beaches ad infinitum I would, by now, be a millionaire twice over. But creativity is not about repeating what has been done before. This year’s paintings are subtly different from last year’s paintings and far removed from the paintings of thirty years ago.

Today’s painting is of Road Town, the capital of the British Virgin Islands. It was painted exactly thirty years ago. Feast your nostalgic eyes on it, for I cannot repeat that period even if I wanted to. I intend to keep moving on and leave you to catch up with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment