- I work in watercolour and watercolours are not readily marketable.
- I paint the female nude: a subject that most buyers are shy of.
- My models are Afro-Caribbean: black rather than white.
- I resist the abstract: my figures are physical and passionate.
- I work rapidly and suggest rather than define detail, and it is in laboured detail that buyers consider they get their money’s worth.
For my good friend and kindred soul, the Virgin Island poet Sheila Hyndman Wheatley (1958-1991), I choose this poem for her memorial service. It may well be equally as fitting for mine.